Planned Gifts, Stock and Shares

Consider leaving a lasting legacy to families in need who want to improve the lives of their family and children, by including LaPorte County Habitat for Humanity in your estate plans.

You can continue your support in your will by giving:

  • Bequest in your will or revocable trust
  • Gift of life insurance naming LaPorte County Habitat for Humanity as the beneficiary
  • Gift of retirement benefits such as an IRA, 401K or 403(b)
  • Charitable gift annuity
  • Charitable remainder trust

You may find that you can make a larger gift than you ever thought possible by giving the remainder of your retirement account, pension plan, or other retirement planning vehicle. This allows you to provide for your family first, then your charitable interests.

Many people have life insurance policies that they originally took out to protect mortgages that have since been paid or educational plans that have been completed. These policies would make great charitable gifts. Alternatively, you may decide to give a large gift by purchasing a new insurance policy. If you name LaPorte County Habitat for Humanity as the irrevocable owner and beneficiary, the premiums are tax deductible (to the extent allowed by law).

Donate Stock or Mutual Fund Shares

By making a gift of stock or mutual fund shares, you can receive some attractive benefits:

Relief from capital gains tax, a charitable income tax deduction knowing that you are helping hard-working families find safe, affordable housing.

With over 60% of Americans owning securities, more people are giving stocks, bonds, and mutual funds in support of affordable housing. By donating securities to LaPorte County Habitat for Humanity, you can benefit from tax savings that may allow you to donate more without an increased cost. Talk with your financial advisor, attorney, or accountant to determine if this is a good choice for you.

In order to better serve you, please notify us of your intentions to make a stock gift. Please contact us at

Consult with your financial advisor, attorney, or accountant to consider the best options for you.