- The need for better housing and desire to own a home.
- Not currently have a mortgage
- The ability to repay the Habitat mortgage loan.
- The willingness to partner with Habitat.
- Live or work in LaPorte County for the past 12 months.
- Two years must have passed since any bankruptcy was discharged
- Be a US Citizen or have permanent residency
- Home buyer families must complete 250 hours of sweat equity per adult by attending home ownership and financial literacy classes, building Habitat homes, and participating in Habitat events and functions.
- Home buyers must also meet Habitat’s Income Guidelines.
The LaPorte County Habitat Family Selection Committee selects home buyers to match Habitat’s annual home production schedule. Completing the home buyer program from application to purchase of a home may take 24 months or longer.
All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic or religious background, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, height, weight or disability.